Personalized learning allows all students to have a customized learning experience that leverages their strengths and interests, and accommodates their distinct learning needs. All students thrive when their unique aspirations, gifts, and cultural backgrounds are addressed.
The development of a personalized learning approach includes:
- Aligning curriculum with students’ interests, strengths and aspirations
- Delivering targeted instruction for all learners including gifted, English language learners, students with learning differences, and those in the “middle of the pack”
- Identifying areas of struggle for all students and providing the scaffolding needed for all young people to learn challenging academic content
- Creating flexible learning environments that incorporate a variety of instructional approaches, including the use of technology
- Developing self-knowledge, meta-cognitive, and self-advocacy skills
- Connecting learning to real-world experiences
As a result of personalized learning approaches, learners feel understood and safe. When students feel safe, they are better able to learn, to persevere through struggles, and to become lifelong learners.
Discover Your Students’ Power Traits for Learning:
Your students’ power traits are made up of five dimensions – Talents, Interests, Modality, Environment, and Dispositions. These five areas affect how your students learn and behave in the classroom and/or home school. If you have your students’ power trait information you will be more effective in facilitating their learning.
Approach Struggling Students Through Their Strengths:
- Almost any learning difficulty can be seen through a strengths mindset.
- Your “A.D.D.” student probably has an Imaginative or Curious Disposition.
- Your “Dyslexic” student probably has a 3-D Talent and a Picture Modality strength.
- Your “Hyperactive” student probably has a Spontaneous Disposition and a Movement Modality strength.
- Your bored and unmotivated student probably has untapped Talents and Interests that need to be encouraged.
Self-Portrait™ Power Traits Assessment:
The Self-Portrait™ assessment gives you the tools you need to truly implement a personalized learning approach that creates confidence and eliminates failure for both students and teachers.
- Visit PowerTraitsforLife.com to get ideas on applying different learning approaches for various learning needs.
- Visit ASelfPortraitOnline.com to information on the Self-Portrait™ assessment.
Copyright 2021 by VKHodson & MPelullo-Willis, Reflective Educational Perspectives, LLC / LearningSuccess™ Institute • powertraitsforlife.com, aselfportraitonline.com